Frequently Asked Questions
1. Regular facial treatment helps to increase the circulation in the area and stimulates the skin. Experts believe that it can help delay the premature aging process by custom-targeting your unique skin care. Facial treatment is a great way to prevent the wrinkling appearance on your face as you age. Keeping your skin properly hydrated will prevent your skin from dehydration.
2. A facial treatment can guarantee you a deep cleansing better that the type of cleansing you typically do at home. It includes cleansing, exfoliation, and hydration which can help to unclog your pores and get rid of deep seated dirt and impurities that affect the overall health and appearance of your skin.
3. A facial can help you understand the proper products specifically suited for your skin. Many people are using the wrong products for their skin type causing their skin to become sensitized. Skin type is determined by pore size, tone, oil production, and texture. This is an important component of starting to create a beautiful skin.
4. Facial treatments guarantee to rejuvenate your complexion. It is one of the best ways to restore your skin’s natural glow. Facial treatments help get rid of old and dead skin cells that promotes the new growth of healthy cells. It is a cosmetic treatment of the face that includes a series of pampering methods of applying creams, lotions, masks, peels, exfoliation, steam, and massage.
5. It can lessen your stress. Almost all facial treatments can help you feel relaxed especially if it combined with massage. Experts believe that your body releases a hormone that makes you happy called endorphin when you are in your most relaxed state.
It is advisable to get at least one facial treatment every month or depending on your skin problem. It is important in maintain the beauty and health of your skin. It is very important to maintain a healthy skin care regimen to delay the signs of aging and fight the damaging effects of the external environment.
What exactly is “sensitive skin”? Is it the same as an “allergic skin”?
“Sensitive skin” is delicate and unable to tolerate over-stimulation from sun, wind and certain skin care ingredients. People with sensitive skin often avoid skin care protection because of bad reactions in the past or because skin products have caused additional irritation. An “allergic skin” is irritated specifically by a reaction to particular ingredients or enviromental influence.
How should I care for my skin when it feels delicate and irritated?
Your skin care therapist can recommend a specialized treatment to soothe and calm your skin. Dermalogica has developed several formulas specifically intended for sensitive skin.
What is acne and how do I know if I have it?
Acne is a genetic diease affecting the skin by a series of recurrent, infected breakouts. Classic acne blemishes include blackheads, milia, pimples and cysts. If you experience ongoing breakouts, you should seek help from a licensed skin care therapist, who may refer you to a Dermatologist. With the numerous advances in skin care formulations, however, increasingly more people are combating their acne with regular facial treatments and complementary at-home regimens.
What can I do at home to help my breakouts?
Excellent skin care and hygiene are vitally important to remove the excess oils and bacteria that stimulate acne. Dermalogica’s products are nongreasy and completely water-soluble, making it ideal for breakout-prone skin. Always follow a strict regime of thorough cleansing with tepid (not hot) water, followed with a conditioner and an oil-free moisturizer. Exfoliant and Skin Renewal Booster, as well as using a deeply-purifying Skin Refining Masque, aids the skin’s natural elimination process, helping to reduce breakouts. Dry up existing pimples with a 5% Benzoyl Peroxide product such as Special Clearing Booster
Why do some people breakout in their forties?
Stress and hormonal changes are the primary cause for the re-emergence of acne well after puberty. Recent studies indicate that 40 to 50 percent of adults between the ages of 20 and 40 are diagnosed with persistent, low-grade acne. Along with several lifesytle changes, including reducing one’s stress level and improving one’s diet, there are several products on the market designed to address these problems.
How does pregnancy affect the skin?
Pregnancy can be a rather overwhelming time as your body undergoes massive changes. Knowing in advance how these changes are going to affect you will help in dealing with them. For example, dry, itchy skin will need the skin-smoothing benefits of an enriched mosturizer like Body Hydrating Cream and soap-free cleanser such as Conditioning Body Wash. Your vitamin supplements are also very important during this time, not only for the baby’s nutrition but also for the maintenance of your skin. Be sure to discuss your supplement with your health care professional-for example, Vitamin E and Zinc have been shown to help reduce stretch marks, while Vitamin C aids in collagen production, leaving skin supple and resilient.
What effect do oral contraceptives have on the skin?
Oral contraceptives have a very similar effect as pregnancy on the body’s hormones, leading to many of the same skin problems. Although symptoms, and their severity differ depending on each person, women taking oral contraceptives are much more sensitive to sunlight and can develop a permanently uneven skin tone if they do not adequately protect themselves. During this time, you should use a minimum base, like the products in Dermalogica’s Solar Defense System
How does exfoliation affect the aging process?
The skin renews itself completely about every 20 days between the ages of 15 and 25 years. As you enter your thirties the renewal rate begins to slow significantly, increasing to about 28 days to complete a full cycle. This results in thicker, duller-looking skin. During this time, the sebaceous, or oil-producing glands also become less active, making the skin slightly drier. While no skin care product will stop this natural process, a Dermalogica skin care regimen can help to maintain the skin in its optimum condition and accelerate the skin renewal process.
I’m a soap-and-water user now and I don’t want a complicated regimen. What should I use?
Many people prefer not to have a complicated skin care regimen, but realize that using a soap-and-water approach can damage and dehydrate the skin. Dermalogica recommends that you use Special Cleanising Gel, a soap-free, foaming skin wash, Multi-Active Toner, a rebalancing facial spritz, and Active Moist, a light, oil-free face lotion. This quick and efficient routine takes little time, and will leave your skin in its best condition.